To add a new invoice template go to Manage > Templates, select Add Invoice Template or select edit from the list of existing templates.
Invoices are made up of four sections; the page header, invoice header, invoice lines, and invoice footer. Each section can be modified to suit your invoicing requirements, and placeholders can be used to populate invoices with data from throughout Invoxy. See the end of this article for the details of available placeholders.
Splitting Invoices & Invoice Lines
When you create a batch of invoices, the settings on your invoice templates will determine how the invoices are produced. Invoxy will produce one invoice for each unique combination of values it finds in the Invoice Header, so for example if you want to produce one invoice per candidate you would include the Resource Name placeholder somewhere in the header. Here's an example of what that setup might look like:
Similarly, Invoxy will create one invoice line for each unique combination of details it finds in the line narration. So if you're creating a single invoice per client, and there are multiple placements/resources on each invoice then you would include the Placement Billing Name and Resource Name placeholders in the line narration so that one line is produced per placement/resource. Here's an example of how that might be setup:
The line types you add into an invoice will determine what types of charges are pulled into the invoice. For example, an invoice template must have Timesheet Lines in order to charge time and expenses from the timesheets, or must have Placement Fees in order to charge Permanent, Service Fee or Credit Note placements.
The line types available are:
Subtotal Group - Subtotal groups allow you to group data by filters or line types, and will automatically generate a subtotal of any invoice lines that are included within the subtotal group.
Fixed Charge - A fixed charge line allows you to specify a fixed dollar amount to charge on the invoice. This might be used for fixed rate admin fees, for example.
Timesheet Lines - If a timesheet line is included in the invoice, any approved timesheets for the invoice period will be brought through to the invoice.
Placement Fees - If a placement fees line is included in the invoice, any permanent placements with a Placement Date in the invoice period will be brought through to the invoice.
Percentage Fee - A percentage fee line allows you to specify a percentage fee that should be applied to the invoice. This might be used for percentage rate admin fee, for example.
Text Line - A text line provides a free-text line, useful for if you wish to include a written message in the body of your invoices.
Attach Timesheets and Approvals to the Invoice
At the bottom of the invoice template you can tick 'Attach timesheet entries & approvals to this Invoice' if you wish to attach time and approval audits to the PDF invoice sent to the client.
This article has more info on that setup.
Assign a Template to a Client
To set an invoice template on a Client, select the Invoice template you wish to use from the Invoice Template drop down list when adding or editing a Client under Manage > People. This is just the default template for that client, and other templates can be used instead when creating invoices as needed.
When you click into a section of the invoice template the edit bar will appear above the selected section, allowing you to apply text and layout formatting or insert placeholders. To insert a placeholder click the Placeholders button, scroll through the available list, and click the placeholder you wish to insert.
The placeholder will be inserted wherever your cursor is currently placed, and will take on any formatting currently applied to the text at the time you add it. If you wish to change the formatting on a placeholder you'll need to delete the placeholder, apply the text formatting you wish to use, then re-add the placeholder.
Placeholders available to be added to your invoice templates include:
Approver - these are details for the user who approved the timesheet. If multiple users approved the timesheet, only the first result (alphabetically) will be returned. These placeholders can't be used on the invoice lines:
- Approver Name
- Approver Email
Client - these are all client details which can be set on the Client record under Manage > Clients:
- Client Address
- Client Billing Email
- Client Billing Name
- Client Billing Recipient Name
- Client Name
Company - these are all your own company details which can be set under Manage > Settings. These placeholders can't be used on the invoice lines:
- Company Address
- Company Contact Name
- Company Domain (this will just insert the first part of your domain - for example, if your domain is companyname.invoxy.com it will insert 'companyname')
- Company Logo
- Company Name
- Company Tax Number
Invoice - these details are all based on the invoice itself, and will be set when you create the invoice batch (these placeholders can't be used on the invoice lines):
- Invoice Date
- Invoice Due Date (this can be set on the invoice batch itself, or via Payment Terms on the client)
- Invoice From Date
- Invoice Number
- Invoice To Date
Placement - these details are all pulled from the placement record under Placements > Manage Placements:
- Placement Billing Contact (Inserting this placeholder will add the name of the Billing Recipient from the Placement Team. Only one name can be used, so if there's more than one Billing Recipient in the Placement Team, only the first [alphabetically] will be included)
- Placement Billing Name
- Placement Date (only applicable to Permanent placements)
- Placement End Date (only applicable to Contract and Labour Hire placements)
- Placement Labels (these will be comma separated if there are multiple labels on the placement)
- Placement Name
- Placement Notes (please note that formatting the Notes into multiple lines on the invoice would require that the notation <br> is included at the end of each line on the placement Note)
- Placement PO Number (if included in the Invoice Header and the Placement Reference placeholder is not present, this will flow through to the Reference field in Xero)
- Placement Rate (the billing rate)
- Placement Reference (if included in the Invoice Header this will flow through to the Reference field in Xero)
- Placement Start Date (only applicable to Contract and Labour Hire placements)
- Placement Tracking Codes (these won't be visible on the invoice, but if included on the Invoice Lines then Invoxy will attempt to match any Placement Labels it finds to Xero Tracking Categories. See our Xero Integration article for more details)
Resource - these details are drawn directly from the Resource record under Manage > People:
- Resource Email
- Resource First Name
- Resource Last Name
- Resource Name (the Display Name)
- Resource Trading Name
Time - these details are drawn from the time entries included in the invoice:
- Account Code (this is set on the Work that the time is recorded against, and will flow through to Xero invoices if set correctly)
- Week Ending (the end date of the week the time is recorded in, formatted YYYY/MM/DD; if the invoice spans multiple weeks this will generate one invoice line per week)
- Work Display Name
- Work Name